Paediatric dentistry, also known as Pedodontics, is the main branch of science that aims to protect the healthy milk teeth and permanent teeth of children aged 0 – 15 years and individuals who require special attention. Pedodontics aims to eliminate the problems caused by decay, trauma, hereditary and similar factors in these teeth.
Why Should We Take Our Child to a Paediatrician?
Dental treatments in children require special attention. Establishing the right communication between the child and the dentist at the first meeting and eliminating the child’s fears are of great importance for the healthy relationship between the dentist and the patient in the future.
Paediatric Dentists, as they are the first dentists that children meet, know their psychology very well and prevent dentist phobia in children. They also determine the child’s caries risk group and organise individualised preventive programs.
Regulating the child’s eating habits, controlling the regular progress of jaw and tooth development, restorative and prosthetic treatments for teeth with developmental anomalies, preventive orthodontic treatments, dental injuries in children, and dental treatments of children requiring special attention are the areas of special interest of Pedodontists.
All kinds of problems that threaten oral and dental health can be detected in children who are regularly checked by a Pedodontist. Early diagnosis and treatment of possible problems in paediatric patients will positively affect the physical and emotional development of the child.
Pediatric Dentistry Routine Practices
Paediatric Dentistry Specialist Gülcan Ünsal, who works at Lotus Dental Clinic, states that children’s dental treatments should take place in an ideal environment due to their specialisation and interest. Kusadasi Lotus Dental offers children treatment in an ideal environment.
The procedures that routinely applied in the field of paediatric dentistry by Paediatric Dentist Specialist Gülcan Şahin at Kusadasi Lotus Dental are as follows:
- Oral and Dental Care, Nutrition Recommendations
- Preventive applications from dental caries: Fluorine gel, fluor varnish, fissure sealants.
- Extraction of milk teeth when necessary.
- Placeholder applications or paediatric prostheses to be made in case of tooth loss in children.
- Treatment of dental traumas caused by bumps, falls, etc.
- Restorative treatments of deciduous and permanent teeth, such as fillings.
- Treatment of young permanent teeth with excessive crown destruction with stainless steel crowns, aesthetic crowns and advanced ceramic systems
- Endodontic treatments such as root canal treatments, amputations.
- Regenerative endodontic applications.
- Treatments to stop bad oral habits such as finger sucking, nail biting, lip biting, teeth grinding, etc.
- Treatment applications under general anaesthesia in children with cooperation problems and individuals with special needs.